Sunday, March 15, 2009

Doll Project Rejects

Sometimes it's fun to see the outtakes of a movie. The flubbed lines, the stunts gone wrong, the shots where the equipment is visible... they make you look at it in a way you didn't before. More and more I am coming to view The Doll Project as a movie in miniature. I think Laurie Simmons said the same thing about her photo series. I can definitely see why.

Each doll is like an actress, and not all of them are right for the part. Some of them are hilariously wrong for the project altogether. So I thought I'd share a few items from the "cutting room floor" of The Doll Project.

Evil Skipper Clone

This little Skipper clone was a steal on eBay. Now I see why. She has such a hostile expression on her face. Why is she so angry? I think she hates the color pink and is angry about going through puberty and being forced to take ballet. Maybe she'd rather try skateboarding or playing soccer or something. Whatever her problem is, I knew she was all wrong for the part of Ana. But I may use her as an "extra" in a few pictures.




I Was a Teenage Zombie
The fact that she is afflicted with a green ear is bad enough. I could even overlook the giant "man hands" that Hasbro gave her. But look at her face! The vacant expression in this Uncanny Valley Girl's eyes is pretty frightening. She looks like she should be staggering around moaning "braaaainnss" and attacking the other dolls. I remember never liking Maxie dolls as a girl. I always thought they were ugly. (Though they did have some nice furniture.) I thought I'd give them another try, but I see that I was right all along. I won't be using her either. Unless I decided to make something with zombies. Which could be fun, but has already been done before.


Scariel
I will admit, I have not watched Disney's The Little Mermaid since it was in theaters. So perhaps my memory of her hair color is a little bit off. I remember her having flaming red hair. But I do not remember her hair being the color of cherry Kool-Aid. Honestly, what am I supposed to do with her?

Ellie Mae
I originally purchased this generic Fannie Fashion Doll to use as Ana. But I felt her face and hairstyle were just a little too retro. Something about the style just screams mid century. Maybe it's just me. Fortunately, I was able to put her body to use for Mia. And after creating a series of "Franken-doll" hybrids, I finally came up with one that works. Doesn't she remind you a little of Ellie Mae Clampett from The Beverly Hillbillies? All she needs is a "cement pond" and some critters to play with.

I am still playing with my new camera. When the new pictures from The Doll Project are ready, I'll publish them here. I hope to have some new ones on here by the end of the week, so keep checking back. Or subscribe.


Add to Mixx!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post