Monday, October 1, 2018

The 2018 EXPO Chicago art show

This year's EXPO Chicago art show was not quite as dynamic as it had been the past few years, though one new addition that I appreciated was having more events taking place concurrently around the city, extending its scope beyond a few days at Navy Pier to a full week around the city. EXPO Art Week programming even included one of my favorite places, The Smart Museum at The University of Chicago, with a dynamic celebration of a new show that just opened there about South Side artists.

I suppose I have high expectations for EXPO now because—if you're familiar with my blog you may recall—this was the show where I serendipitously met Olympic Medalist Tommie Smith right after I had just read about him in a book I was reading while studying for Jeopardy!, found a booth that coordinated perfectly with my outfit, and saw a painting that foretold our current national nightmare. Also, I had to rush through the show because I had an art show of my own to get to and didn't want to be late for the first day. So I didn't have time to visit the Justice Hotel installation that two artists I know, Maya Camille Broussard and Rhonda Wheatley, were a part of.

Here are photos of the art that caught my eye. As always, I try my best to include the names of the artists in the captions, but sometimes I miss a few.


Prune Nourry

Peter Williams

Forum Gallery



Benjamin Larose

Eddy Kamuanga Ilunga


Guerilla Girls






AfriCOBRA







Fu Xiaotong



Mario Moore

Clare Rojas

Jim Lambie




Andrea Galvani

David Gill Gallery

Hank Willis Thomas

Anna Kunz

Jon Rappleye


Shin Sung Hy

Whitfield Lovell

Stephané E. Conradie

Ann Agee

Karen Arm


Ger Van Elk

Oscar Murillo

John M. Armleder

Patrick Bongoy


Firelei Báez

James Rosenquist

Bisa Butler

Sculpture: Jesse Small; Bas-reliefs: Rupert Deese


Carlos Rolón

William LaChance

Esmaa Mohamoud




El Anatsui

Alexis Peskine

I also recorded a few short videos of live performances and video art that I liked. 


Video art by Gregory Scott

Live performances by ballerinas from The Joffrey Ballet Company



I'm glad I had the chance, though it was brief, to see all the art that was on view at EXPO this year and still hope that someday I will get to display my work there. But I'm getting closer since I was in a satellite fair this year. Click here to read about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post