Monday, September 24, 2018

Violet Verve

Purple is a complicated color. That's why I prefer to purchase it rather than mix my own variations. Maybe if I kept a measuring cup and measuring spoons or graduated cylinders at my studio I'd change my mind, because at least then I could follow a consistent recipe or formula to achieve the same results every time. But because I didn't have measuring tools at my studio (I do now!) when I started painting Violet Verve, I availed myself of all the brightest violets that the art supply stores I frequent had to offer, as well as some of my secret ingredients.


 It kept going back and forth between too pink and too blue every time I glazed it.



I tried a pigment that required a UV light to cure correctly. So I got a blacklight bulb.




Then I added a final coat of glaze. Little did I know that paintbrush bristles broke off and formed this number 7 in the paint before Violet Verve dried. 


It took a long time, but after all that glazing I was very pleased with the wide range of hues.


The painting has a chameleon-like quality. Its gloss and iridescence cause it to reflect its surroundings and take on a different color cast depending on where you are standing when you look at it.










I'm selling it for $600 on Etsy. If you happen upon this post after it's been sold, don't despair. I can make a similar custom painting for you. Click here to learn more about my commissioned art process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post