Saturday, October 1, 2011

October is Chicago Artists Month




Today is the first day of Chicago Artists Month.  As the autumn leaves begin to fall and we get closer and closer to the infamous Chicago winter, at least this month's festivities can distract us from the impending doom of ice, slush, and snow.  I have planned a sort of hibernation from mid-November until March, so this month's excursions are a way for me to store up experiences for the winter.

I am so glad I'm in a different place than I was this time last year.  Now I can actually enjoy myself.  I am participating in two shows this month.  Three of my pieces, Anhedonia, Pain's Grey, and Composition in Primaries, are on display at the Chicago Black Artists show in the Liz Long Gallery at Urban Art Retreat. The gallery is on the west side of Chicago at 1957-59 S. Spaulding Avenue.  The opening reception is today from 1-4 p.m. There will be a discussion with the artists in the show October 16, from 2-4 p.m. Both events are free and open to the public. The show runs from Saturday, October 1 until Saturday, November 12, and the gallery is only open on Saturdays.

I am also having a special open studio event this month.  My first guest artist of the year, Raquel Stallworth, will be displaying her work in my studio.


Painting by Raquel Stallworth, The Middle
Raquel Stallworth, The Middle

 And in addition to all the artistic festivities taking place this month, The Chicago International Film Festival will be October 6th through the 20th.  What I love about their website is that it allows you to create a schedule of all the movies you plan to see so you can make the most of it.  Also, there are several free panel discussions taking place that should offer valuable information to aspiring filmmakers and open-minded artists alike.  With all this excitement, who knows when I will have time to actually paint.  Perhaps I'll save that for the winter, while I hibernate and avoid going out in the ice and snow.

For more information:

Chicago Artists Month
Chicago International Film Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post