Saturday, October 1, 2011

Chicago Artists Month, Day 1: Wicker Park, North Lawndale, and Pilsen

Today has been a really long day for me, but I mean that in the best possible way.  What better way to spend your day than doing things you love?


My first stop was in Wicker Park, where I visited the Coyote Arts Festival.  I spent time perusing the studios and maze-like hallways of the Flat Iron Building.  While I was there, I saw one of my Fine Arts Building neighbors, Jennifer Cronin.  Here are some of her paintings.




And here are a few other photos from the Flat Iron:

















My next stop was North Lawndale, where I went to the opening for the Chicago Black Artists Show, where three of my paintings are on display.




It was an intimate gathering and everyone in attendance had a chance to introduce themselves and ask the artists questions.  There is going to be a discussion with the artists on the 16th so I feel like I got to have a preview of what it will be like.

Then I went to The Pilsen East Artists' Open House, where I had a chance to visit a few galleries I hadn't seen before.  With its abundance of pop-up spaces, there is always something new in the Pilsen Arts District.







I saw a sign on the sidewalk advertising "Photography for Ladies" and when to see what it was all about.  When I opened the door to The Sitting Room, it was like walking on to the set of a glamorous old movie.  What a fun way to be photographed.



I really enjoyed the 50/50 Pilsen Show, which featured a mixture of art and crafts from the displaying artists.  It was like a smaller, indoor version of the Renegade Craft Fair.  In fact, some of them had booths there a few weeks ago.  Here are a few that I liked:







I had a great time meeting other artists as well.  Here are two I'd like to introduce to my readers:


Travis Mitchell lives & works at the Flat Iron building and does amazing work with ink.



Simone Hester is also exhibiting at the Liz Long gallery and does incredible digital photography.

You still have time to see the shows in Pilsen and Wicker Park this weekend.  For more information, visit the Chicago Artists Month page.


My next stop is the Ravenswood Art Walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post