Saturday, February 1, 2014

Behind the scenes of The Doll Project

Last month I sold all but five of the prints in The Doll Project solo show at The Adler School of Professional Psychology. I decided to use the money I earned to get everything I needed to finish the project. I had a very long wish list of dolls, clothing, and props I needed to take the photos I envisioned. So I went for it. And a whole lot of the things I ordered came this week.




This vintage Casey doll came packed in a box full popcorn. Yes, the kind you eat, not the Styrofoam variety.





I am always afraid that buying used items online will lead to insect infestations, and opening a box full of edible popcorn did nothing to allay my fears.

An eBay seller sent me a doll wrapped in a layer of Saran Wrap with what appeared to be a piece of vinyl wallpaper folded around it as a makeshift envelope. That was pretty weird, too.

Anyway, I am glad that I will soon be able to take the remaining pictures so that I can finish my Doll Project book.


3 comments:

  1. Why on earth would someone send unwrapped edible goods in a big fat cardboard box that all manner of critter could crawl into? Did you contact the sender because that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You could have opened a box full of flies feasting on that popcorn. I mean, I have ordered boxes of popcorn from Amazon, but it was packaged in plastic bags, not just roaming free inside the box. What the heck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Crazy, right? Yes, I contacted the seller and also mentioned it in my feedback. Usually eBay people are the ones who think they're MacGuyver and try to improvise packaging out of whatever happens to be around the house and Etsy sellers are more professional and conscientious. But there's a first time for everything, I guess. Shopping online is certainly an adventure! And a gamble.

      Delete
    2. This isn't Popcorn that's all buttered, and salted here guys. It's plain popcorn! Do you see bugs and critters all over decorations people make with it? It's an absolutely great way to protect items. I've never done it myself, but that's because I don't want to make a bunch of popcorn. There are plenty of people that send items packed in the stuff. No different than packing Peanuts.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post