Sunday, October 10, 2010

to hold the terrible silence at bay

"Speak to me.  Why do you never speak.  Speak."
--T.S. Eliot, "The Waste Land"


For 27 days now, I have endured this nightmare: 27 days of silence.  It is the cruelest silence I have ever known.

Born from this silence are three new paintings, the first of the Dark Night of the Soul series: Anhedonia, Lacrimosa, and Pain's Grey.

dark-night-of-the-soul-seri

So far two are still works in progress, but Anhedonia is complete.


anhedonia

The Payne's Grey has been accented with Mars black and metallic silver, and glazed with graphite powder for an otherworldly sheen.

anhedonia--detail

Anhedonia is a Greek word meaning an inability to experience pleasure.

It measures 12"x16" and is for sale on Etsy for $96 plus shipping.

I hope to awaken from this nightmare soon.  In the meantime, I continue to paint so that I, like the main characters in Waiting for Godot, can "hold the terrible silence at bay."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post