Monday, December 30, 2013

My next-to-last blog post of the year

Because I was studying for Jeopardy, I didn't get the chance to post about these shows when they were current. So now I belatedly bring you three great shows I went to in the fall: Maleness to Manhood at The South Side Community Art Center, Expo Chicago at Navy Pier, and The Renegade Craft Fair. And the Guerrilla Truck Show pictures I took got overlooked while I was uploading my photos from NeoCon, so I'm posting those, too.


Guerilla Truck Show

First I went to Packer Schopf Gallery since I passed it on the way to Fulton Market.

2013 Guerrilla Truck Show

2013 Guerrilla Truck Show




I also checked out the Mars Gallery.

2013 Guerrilla Truck Show
Mars Gallery


Then I went to Fulton Market to see the trucks.

2013 Guerrilla Truck Show

2013 Guerrilla Truck Show

2013 Guerrilla Truck Show

v2013 Guerrilla Truck Show

2013 Guerrilla Truck Show

2013 Guerrilla Truck Show

2013 Guerrilla Truck Show

2013 Guerrilla Truck Show



Maleness to Manhood

This powerful art show featured work by a large number of African-American male artists and addressed the many different issues they face in our current society.





Maleness to Manhood at South Side Community Art Center

Maleness to Manhood at South Side Community Art Center
Thomas Williams



Maleness to Manhood at South Side Community Art Center
Adam Guichard

Maleness to Manhood at South Side Community Art Center
Raymond Thomas

Maleness to Manhood at South Side Community Art Center
Clifton Henri





Renegade Craft Fair

As always, I went to the Renegade Craft Fair in Wicker Park and had a great time. I feel bad that I didn't write a post about it and all the great artists and crafters I saw there, but I don't even know what I did with all their business cards.


2013 Chicago Renegade Craft Fair

2013 Chicago Renegade Craft Fair

2013 Chicago Renegade Craft Fair

2013 Chicago Renegade Craft Fair

2013 Chicago Renegade Craft Fair




Expo Chicago

I really enjoyed the second annual Expo Chicago show at Navy Pier this year. It was such an inspiring experience. My apologies for not getting more of the names of the artists.

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair

2013 Expo Chicago Art Fair
Markus Linnenbrink
2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair


2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair


2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair
Howardena Pindell
2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair
Erika Rothenberg

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair
Josh Garber

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair
Louise Nevelson

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair
Roxy Paine

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair
Glenn Kaino

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair
James Welling

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair
William Artis

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair
Sargent Johnson

2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair
Charles Howard


2013 EXPO Chicago Art Fair




Fountain Art Fair

The Fountain Art Fair was a satellite fair of the Expo Art Fair, held at the new Mana Contemporary Studios building on Throop.

2013 Fountain Art Fair

2013 Fountain Art Fair

2013 Fountain Art Fair

2013 Fountain Art Fair

2013 Fountain Art Fair

2013 Fountain Art Fair

This interactive kinetic sculpture piece was sort of like a musical Rube Goldeberg device. Swinging on the swingset plays the instruments.


2013 Fountain Art Fair


They also have a nice little cafe in the building, which is good because there are so few restaurants nearby.

2013 Fountain Art Fair

Who knows, maybe I will get a studio there one day.

2 comments:

  1. Your studio is where you make your art (so you have one already). Though, I know what you mean (sigh). What an art scene you have in Chicago! Thanks for sharing all of this. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I like my studio, but there is always something about an empty space with blank walls so ripe for possibilities, and this building has such a cool (and famous!) group of artists in it. I'm glad you liked the post, and Happy New Year to you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post