Monday, November 10, 2008

From the Archives: "Roxy," circa 1991





Since November is National Novel Writing Month, I decided that all this month's From the Archives posts will feature illustrations from my novels. At 64 pages, "Roxy" is technically not a novel, but I was 11 when I wrote this and very proud of myself for writing such a long story that I decided to call it a novel. I also illustrated it myself. And I entered it in the Young Author's Contest, but the judges didn't like it. Maybe it's because Roxy joins a gang.







I should probably mention here that although I grew up on the South Side of Chicago, I lived in the upper-middle class enclave of Beverly Hills, which most of us just call Beverly. Everything I knew about gangs I learned from after school specials, the news, public service announcements, very special episodes of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the musical West Side Story. Therefore, the events of my first "novel" have little to do with real life, but then again I guess that doesn't matter much anyway because "Roxy" is set in a parallel universe that I made up.

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome. I used to write little stories and illustrate them as well. AND I just moved to the Chicago area!

    http://www.internetartclass.info/
    http://ashfairley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ash! So glad you liked it. And I really like your blogs, too. I just took a look at both of them. I love the background on http://ashfairley.blogspot.com/ and I think it's great that you are providing classes on your internetartclass.info site.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post