Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday Featured Flickr Group: Mod Dolls



Well, last week's group was all about decay. This week's featured group is the opposite of that. What can I say? I have very eclectic tastes.

When I was about 10 I inherited a sizeable portion of an older cousin's Barbie collection from the mid 1960's to early 1970's. To be honest, at the time, I thought the dolls were funny looking, but eventually the mod era aesthetic grew on me. And then in 2002 I discovered Blythe (along with the rest of the world) thanks to Gina Garan's book about her. I still want to kick myself every time I see how much the reissued dolls are going for now on eBay. (I was going to buy a Blythe back in 2002, but I kept procrastinating.) But viewing the pictures in the Mod Dolls group gives me a chance to see a lot of pictures of "the doll with the surprise in her eyes" since she is the star of the show. And you can also find Dawn, Heidi, The Rock Flowers, and even some long-haired hippie Ken dolls, among others.

Mod Dolls is a great resource for collectors looking to identify an unknown doll, or for those who want to start collecting dolls of this era but aren't sure where to start. The group administrator is Lala-A-GoGo, a photographer, crafter, collector, and connoisseur of kitsch whose sites and groups are a treasure trove of eye candy for all of us who are fond of retro.





Add to Mixx!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post