Sunday, July 15, 2012

My new interior design project

If you read my post a few months ago about all the changes I've made to my art studio, you've seen the time and effort that I have put into making my workspace work for me. My art studio got all of my attention, but I was ignoring my apartment. It's so easy for me to just come home and watch TV or go online and ignore my surroundings.  I suppose I also felt overwhelmed whenever I contemplated redesigning and reorganizing everything.  Last weekend I finally came up with a plan.  It turns out that having a vision of how I want the end result to look was exactly what I needed to get motivated to take action and stop daydreaming and living inside my head.  This is what I have done so far.

entry bench - detail


I took my Squat bench and put some cushions and throw pillows on it. Now I have a nice place to sit while I put on my shoes.

My kitchen is almost done. The groovy green wallpaper is vintage and came with the apartment. Along with my flame colored Le Creuset pots and pans, it sets the citrus color scheme of the kitchen.  The chairs and dining table came from Wal-Mart, believe it or not.

groovy green kitchen- table


I can't remember if I got the shelving unit from Wal-Mart or The Container Store, but I know the Container Store still sells them.  Because it is so compact, it's ideal for a small space, and as an added bonus, requires no special tools to assemble.

groovy green kitchen- detail


Of course my kitchen wouldn't be complete without a Breakfast at Tiffany's poster.  The bubbles picture frame next to it came from Urban Outfitters a long time ago.  The spherical compartments hold plastic oranges and lemons. I used a green place mat from Crate and Barrel as a background.  The yellow vase is vintage and I bought it on Etsy. It holds dried kangaroo paw and artificial plum blossoms from World Market.  It's such an inviting space now that I enjoy spending time in it.  I just have to make a few more finishing touches (wait til you see what I'm doing to the floor!) and then it will be ready to go in my portfolio.

I still have a lot left to do, but having a few places in my home that look the way I want them to look encourages me to keep working on it.  Check back later for more pictures of my work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post