Tuesday, June 12, 2012

NeoCon 2012 Highlights

DSC07768-1000px

I just made my annual pilgrimage to the Merchandise Mart for the NeoCon furniture show.  To me, the showrooms and booths there are the epitome of interior design, the platonic ideal of what a space should look like.  And this year's show did not cease to inspire me.  The world could be a much more beautiful place, and we designers are the ones who can help make it happen.

My favorite showrooms this time around were the ones that remind me of my studio, with bright primary color schemes.  Izzy featured a whimsical workspace suited for creative collaboration.

DSC07987-1000px

Arcadia featured a pop art themed lounge that complements the Roy Lichtenstein exhibit at the Art Institute (which I still haven't visited yet, unfortunately).

DSC08029-1000px

And Momentum featured a sculptural installation of fabrics in sumptuously bright colors, and gave visitors a great little clutch bag made with their new Panorama fabric.

DSC07886-1000px

I also liked the way that Herman Miller devoted a portion of their bustling showroom to a small exhibit on the work that designer Alexander Girard.  This great little mini-museum was very educational, and I hope that the students who visit tomorrow will stop by to see the extensive collection of vintage memo samples and pieces of original furniture that are on display there.

DSC07814-1000px

It was great to see so many manufacturers finding ways to manufacture their products sustainably.  That, I think, is this year's most important trend. In addition to that, I came across a number of fascinating new products, many by Midwestern companies.  Here are a few that I think you should know about: The Grand Rapids Chair Company in Michigan, tie-dyed cowhide rugs by Eccentric Luxuries in Wisconsin, and Naperville, IL based Moving Murals, which could change the way we think about landscape photography.

Take a look at those links as well as the slide show below to see more of the designs that inspired me this year.



I can't wait to get started on my next design project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post