Monday, May 25, 2009

The Rainbow Connection: Olafur Eliasson at the MCA


Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to the Museum of Contemporary Art to see Olafur Eliasson's new exhibit, Take Your Time. Because I love color, I was thrilled to see Eliasson's site-specific painting created just for the MCA lobby. It's a spectrum of color bars, individual canvases that have been aligned to represent "the 300 nanometers of the color spectrum that can be seen by the human eye." Each color transitions seamlessly into the next. The piece invites you into an enchanted wonderland of color.

These are my favorites from the show:
Above, One-way colour tunnel
Below, Colour space embracer
Bottom, 360° room for all colours



This is the kind of installation that you need to see in person to appreciate because it is an experience of color and light. The show continues until September 13th.

4 comments:

  1. These are amazing. I have to figure out if this will be anywhere near me. in any event, I can now chase down other Eliasson works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be living in a world of color and light and not much else, for a few moments or more...we would all be healed! I wonder what emotional and physical reactions visitors are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jean and Teri! Glad I was able to share some work that you liked. Teri, I can definitely see parts of the exhibit having a therapeutic effect because of the color and light, although one installation that I did not mention was lit with glaring orange sodium lights (the kind they use in street lamps) and I wished I had a pair of those sunglasses eye doctors give you when they put drops in your eyes. I've never had a migraine before but I felt like I was about to get one. But other than that, I do like the use of light in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree -- this exhibit is awe-inspiring. The thing that most impressed me was the ease with which Eliasson turns viewer into subject.
    Gorgeous.
    http://ravestreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post