Monday, July 29, 2019

In the mood for mood boards

I have over 9,000 pins on my interior design ideas Pinterest board, and a very robust selection of photos of furniture that I've downloaded since design school. Over the weekend as I stayed home to avoid the heat wave, I decided that it was time to take these pictures and make something with them that I could add to my interior design portfolio. There are so many things on my Pinterest board that coordinate with each other and would look amazing in a room together. All I needed to do was take the time to put them together. My original plan was to make a few, but like so many other projects I've done, mood board making has taken on a life of its own. Since I've made so many of them, I want to post one each week for the rest of the year. I think of them as projects for imaginary clients.

I'm not going to say where any of the furniture is from. Sorry, but I can't afford to just give away my expertise for free right now. I need to get paid for my design services. However, I will tell you where the art is from so that the artists who made it can get credit. Some mood boards are based on old projects I did while in design school and others are just things I came up with recently.

I'll start with this one, which is nostalgic for me. This was what the world looked like when I was growing up as a kid in the 80s, or at least the fun 80s places like roller skating rinks, arcades, malls, music video sets, and places where Jem and the Holograms and the Misfits hung out. We didn't bother studying this style of interior design when I was in school in the early 2000s and as a result I didn't know until recently that it's called Memphis Style and is part of the postmodern movement that started in the mid 70s. The designers who pioneered this look were actually Italian and French and named their group The Memphis Group because they were listening to the Bob Dylan song "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again" while they were working. Some of this is vintage and some is modern. The colors are so much fun and the patterns have a great energy about them.



modern meets Memphis mood board by Tiffany Gholar postmodern interior design primary colors 80s



Squiggle - art by BlueBanana from Society6


Stay tuned for next Monday's mood board.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog has been an invaluable resource for me as I navigate my own journey in the world of property investment, and I am incredibly grateful for the time and effort you invest in sharing your wisdom with your audience.

    Cultural Fusion: Incorporating Traditional Interior Design In Modern Homes


    Top Indian Celebrities’ Home And Interior Styles

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post