Sunday, April 13, 2014

Imperfect Beauty



While speaking with an open studio visitor last year, I learned something important about my art. He found a connection between The Doll Project and Post-Consumerism that I had never noticed before. And that connection has to do with overcoming perfectionism. As I pondered the overlapping themes in my two disparate bodies of work, I decided that it would be great to have a solo show in which I could display both my photos and my paintings together. That is what the Imperfect Beauty show is all about.

This is the first show in which I have displayed the dolls and dioramas I used.






I am so grateful that L.H. Selman Glass Paperweight Auction House and Gallery was generous enough to let me use their display case.

 


Kinzie's dress is made of yellow cake with pink frosting. "The Doll Project" is spelled out in pink frosting on the platter she stands on.


Midge wanted to be part of the show, so I put her to work holding signs about the types of cake that were available.


I used a pink scarf as a table runner. Sadly I didn't get to eat any of that delicious cake. I was so busy. Plus, I don't like to have dairy products right before I sing.

That's right, I sang at my opening reception. I was the surprise musical performer.


I had planned to get cake afterwards, but I didn't have time. There was so much going on, tons and tons of musical performances (I think I booked too many acts) plus artist talks, plus selling books and artwork.

Overall, I think it went really well. It was a big, ambitious undertaking. Now I don't know what's next. I suppose I should take some time to relax, though knowing me, I'm not sure if it will actually happen.

If you're in Chicago, you can see the show until I take it down on the 30th.

Here are the details:

Imperfect Beauty
Second Floor Gallery
The Fine Arts Building
410 S. Michigan Ave.
Downtown Chicago

Building Hours:
Monday - Friday: 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Sundays: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post