Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The opposite of painting

Starting with Imperfect Things, I've been working on a new series within Post-Consumerism. I've been using paint skins, which are dried pieces of paint, to create multicolor assemblages. Instead of applying wet paint with a brush, palette knife, or other instrument to a surface, I am using paint that has already dried. There is no mark-making involved. What I like about this process is the crazy textures you get.

DSC08932-web

DSC08922-web

If you look closely, you'll notice that many of the colors in these new pieces look familiar. In Art Supplies, there are paint skins from my palettes when I was working on Ruby Horizon, Eternal Spring, Shanda's Sunrise, and Cerulean Rhapsody.

DSC08895-web

Art Store has paint skins from Adaptive Reuse 2 and Verdant. It gets its title from the text on the fragment of paint that came off of a paintbrush from The Art Store (which is now Blick).

DSC08884-web


Why use paint skins and broken art supplies? Because I'm trying to create work in a sustainable, zero-waste fashion. As I mentioned in a previous post, when I wash my brushes, I do not pour any of the waste water down the sink. Instead, I wash them in buckets and let the water inside them evaporate, leaving behind a thin film of dried paint.



Using clear acrylic media, (like gloss medium or gel medium) I create a thicker film which I can use to make acrylic sheets. And then I use the sheets to create new paintings.

Also, there's the economic factor. What better way to save money than to use items that I already have?

DSC08928-web


All these new paintings are for sale in my Etsy shop. They are $200 each. If you happen upon this post after it's been sold, don't despair. I can make a similar custom painting for you. Click here to learn more about my commissioned art process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post