Thursday, November 15, 2012

Post-Consumerism for the holidays: ornaments made with recycled materials

This post will use a word that some people in the art world might find offensive, the dreaded c-word: crafts.  Yes, that's right.  I'm making (and hopefully selling) crafts now.  I decided to make some Christmas ornaments with recycled paper.  I think they fit right in with my Post-Consumerism oeuvre.  Here's what I have made so far.

ornament2

ornament


These glass ornaments are filled with strips of paper cut from magazines and catalogs.  They're a lot of fun to make.  The challenge is finding paper that looks good cut into strips.  Fortunately, I have a large collection to pull from.

Instead of using wire ornament hooks or ribbons, I've decided to use a recycled material called plarn.  Plarn is a yarn made from plastic shopping bags.  Green plarn will blend right in with a green Christmas tree.

I am also making ornaments with recycled cardboard and painting them.  These will be a lot more like my paintings.  I will post some photos of them when they're ready.  My plan is to sell the ornaments exclusively at my December open studio.  Call me old-fashioned, but I like to celebrate the holidays one at a time, so my rule is no ornaments until after Thanksgiving.  But I may make an exception for people who would like to order a set on Etsy. (If anyone on that overcrowded website even sees them!)  They are $10 each or 6 for $50.  E-mail me if you're interested in placing an order.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post