Sunday, August 24, 2008

Welcome!

INVITATION

If you are a dreamer, come in.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer . . .
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire,
For we have some flax golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!

from Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein




Because my process is so intuitive, I have no idea where my ideas even come from most of the time. I am usually guided by hunches. I have had experiences in which it seemed the paintings themselves actually told me how they wanted to be done. But I can't just tell people that and expect that to suffice. Writing about it helps me to cross over to a left-brained analytical perspective on it. So blogging about my art is practice for future critiques, gallery talks, and art shows.

I chose the title Brooding Beauty because of the many meanings of the word "brooding." Brooding is mulling things over in a melancholy way, and I am prone to do that. But brooding is also incubating and protecting. So my blog is going to be a place to mull things over--sometimes in a melancholy way, as I am wont to do--and it is also a place to incubate new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post