Friday, December 4, 2015

The Other Doll Project, Part 1

So I made my own dolls. Well, kind of. I didn't make them from scratch. I repainted some fashion doll heads and put them on the bodies of different dolls. And I dressed them in various outfits and took some pictures.  The purpose of this odd little project is to promote the novel I'm publishing soon, A Bitter Pill to Swallow. These are my characters.






 


And here they are with some quotes from the story.






I have been working on these dolls since the fall of 2013.  I always had an idea of what my characters looked like, and being a visual person, even drew illustrations of them. The dolls are like my drawings come to life. Creating them helped to inform my writing process, as well as my cover design. Look closely and you'll notice that Janina's doll dresses are referenced in the patchwork of the jacket she wears on her cover.

The whole project was quite involved. But this is only half of it! Part 2 of this post is coming soon. In the meantime, follow me on Tumblr to see more of the art I've created to go with my story. I plan to post one image per day until my book is published.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post