Friday, June 27, 2014

New Painting: Dancing Ribbon Nebula

I am so happy to have finished my newest painting just in time for my solo show at William Hill Gallery this weekend. I decided to take a new approach to making my pod texture and created shapes that are more uniform and not as deep. Instead of spending my time filling each one with solid colors, I was able to focus on mark-making. I returned to a motif I used long ago in abstract drawings, curved and wavy lines. They pull the image together like a floating web.


Dancing Ribbon Nebula - 2 - web


Dancing Ribbon Nebula
acrylic, latex, and ink on cardboard
30" x 20"
2014



Dancing Ribbon Nebula - side - web

Dancing Ribbon Nebula detail 2 - web

Dancing Ribbon Nebula - detail 6 - web



Dancing Ribbon Nebula - detail 4 - web




While studying for the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire audition a few weeks ago (sadly I was not chosen to be on the show) I caught up on Neil deGrasse Tyson's Cosmos. Parts of this painting remind me of nebulae, hence the title.

If you happen upon this post after it's been sold, don't despair. I can make a similar custom painting for you. Click here to learn more about my commissioned art process.

2 comments:

  1. The painting looks more like a textured wall and I would love to describe it with words like fluidity and biology. Lattice-like form looks endless and ZahaHadid - one of the greatest architects of our time – uses this biological formation very well in her architectures and yacht designs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This Post